jonathan i am really sorry but i am learning rpg3 i couldnot understand rpgle
  upto the point,,,,,,
   i havent started rpgle yet...
  i need to  do this in rpg -3
  and in case of updating a physical file user will enter the date in DD-MMM
format(e.g 2-jan )
  and it should be stored in database in case of updating in dd - mm format
which is packed decimal.....in rpg3 not in le.....please give me solution..
  thanks for ur help so far..(solution for displaying and updating a physical
file)  in rpg -3
  thasnks a lot...

Jonathan Mason <jonathan.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  An easy way of doing this is with an array a bit of manipulation as the
following example shows:

D EmpDat s 4p 0

D Months ds
D MthTxt 36a Inz('JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSep-
D OctNovDec')
D MthArr 3a Dim(12) Overlay(MthTxt)

D ds
D DDMM 4 0
D DD 2 0 Overlay(DDMM:1)
D MM 2 0 Overlay(DDMM:3)

D FmtDat s 8a

C Eval EmpDat = 2710

C Eval DDMM = EmpDat
C Eval FmtDat = %EditC(DD:'Z') + ' - ' +
C MthArr(MM)

C FmtDat Dsply

C Eval *InLr = *On
C Return