There are date APIs that can produce formatted character representations. Here is an example - you have to assume a year, and I suggest it be a leap year, as below. A data structure could also be used for the in-date instead of the BIFs and perhaps more efficiently.

hdftactgrp(*no) actgrp(*caller) bnddir('QC2LE')
dbirthdate        s              4p 0 inz(410)
doutDate          s              6a
doutDays          s             10i 0

ddateToLillian    pr             8f   extproc('CEEDAYS') opdesc
d inDate                         6a   const
d pictureString                  6a   const
d outLillian                    10i 0
d fc                            12a   options(*omit)

dLillianToChar    pr             8f   extproc('CEEDATE') opdesc
d inLillian                     10i 0 const
d pictureString                  6a   const
d outDate                        6a
d fc                            12a   options(*omit)

 /free
  dateToLillian(%trim(%editw(birthdate : '0    ') + '04') :
                'DDMMYY' :
                outDays :
                *omit);
  LillianToChar(outDays :
                'DD-Mmm' :
                outDate :
                *omit);
  *inlr = *on;
 /end-free

Run it in debug and see what outDate is after the call to LillianToChar.

This is specific to your situation - a more generic version would be useful - I think Scott Klement has done some articles on this.

HTH
Vern