I asked this question once to someone at IBM who supports Service Director,
and the answer I remember was that it's a fairly generic set of high impact
type hardware oriented PTFs that are packaged for SD distribution.  In
other words, it's not specifically driven by your own specific set of
LICPGMs or anything like that.  I think it also tends to pull down PTFs
that patch Service Director itself.  That's my basic understanding, but
someone else can probably answer with more authority.

I've also seen PTFs get pulled from problems that were reported to IBM
through the problem log, but i'm not sure how much SD drives the process
(or how much SD  'digs' into problem log entries).  It would be interesting
and informative to get a more detailed explanation from an expert.  Anyone?

             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc
             02/28/2006 04:30          RE: RE: 'On order only' PTFs
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. RE: 'On order only' PTFs (ChadB)
>Best practices are a wonderful thing from a tech perspective, but from a
>management perspective instead it might look like:
>So what problem were we fixing by adding these?  None?  But they caused us
>a problem?  I don't understand... ;)   Luckily, I probably wouldn't hear
>that at this job.

Since this thread is specifically about ServiceDirector ordered PTFs, it
seems reasonable to ask how ServiceDirector knows a PTF ought to be

Does it search for PTFs based on problem strings from the problem log for
example? If so, then the PTFs were ordered because a problem had been
previously detected. I've tended to trust ServiceDirectorever since it
became first available.

But it's been a few years since I had that responsibility and I'm no longer
clear how it works.

Tom Liotta

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032
Phone  253-872-7788 x313
Fax    253-872-7904

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com