Tom,

You are correct -- messages get logged to the joblog regardless of the
logging level specified for the job.

However messages can be filtered out (removed) after the initial logging
has been done.  There is a description of this removal in the CL
Programmers Guide in Chapter 8 Working with Messages, Message Logging, and
Joblog.  Basically when a request processor requests a message the system
implicitly removes messages from the joblog based on the message logging
level set for the job.

Many interactive jobs have a request processor in the call stack and if it
is actively used filtering will be performed.  Most batch jobs have no
request processor and so removal/filtering is not done.  Adding (and using)
a request processor to a batch job would cause the removal of messages
based on the message logging level of the job.

Bruce Vining

             qsrvbas@netscape.
             net
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/14/2005 10:32          RE: RE: Preventing Writes to Log
             PM                        file

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

I know this one is old, but I haven't had time lately...

There's a chance that this has been misunderstood. I'm not sure that
changing the logging level will help. AFAIK, the messages get logged
regardless of logging level; they just don't necessarily get copied to the
spooled output.

I had the understanding that the logging level controlled more how much of
the messages would be sent to an external device such as a display or a
spooled file rather than how many messages would go into the job's external
message queue.

The problem is in the term 'joblog'.

Sometimes we think of 'joblog' as being the message queue. Sometimes it's
what gets displayed when we run DSPJOB OPTION(*JOBLOG). And sometimes it's
the printed output in the spooled QPJOBLOG file. Those aren't always
equivalent and logging level is one way to make significant differences.

Does anyone know of a clear description of differences?

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.