I would suggest starting with the V5R3 Information Center and looking at
i5/OS and related software/Install, upgrade, or delete i5/OS and related
software/Changing the primary language of your server or logical partition.

You may also want to confirm with your software provider that you really
need to install a DBCS primary language.  V5R3 now allows any NLV to
support a DBCS environment as found under Programming/Globalization/What's
new for V5R3:

  Ideographic language (DBCS) support. In previous releases, OS/400(R)
required an Ideographic language as the primary language to support an
Ideographic language secondary language or an Ideographic language device.
This restriction is removed. This means that any NLV of OS/400 can support
an Ideographic language device or program. IBM(R) still produces and ships
the same number of ideographic (DBCS) NLVs listed below:
             English Uppercase DBCS (Feature 2938)
             English Uppercase and Lowercase DBCS (Feature 2984)
             Japanese DBCS (Feature 2962)
             Korean DBCS (Feature 2986)
             Simplified Chinese DBCS (Feature 2989)
             Traditional Chinese DBCS (Feature 2987)

          Bruce Vining

             IGS Ang
             <igsang@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       upgrading from SBCS to DBCS on next
             12/11/2005 11:40          OS upgrade
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

Hello All:

Currently i've 820 running on V5R1 (2924 English). With the new ERP system,
i will need to upgrade to V5R3 running on DBCS (2984 English).

I've done a few readings on the archived section and i was confused with
(I)
certain group of people saying you cant upgrade from sbcs to dbcs or vice
versa . (II) Then there is another group of people saying that it is
possible by doing a manual installation and entering a different language
code and double confirming it.

A) If the above (II) is true, is there any additional steps i should do or
take note (in comparison to sbcs to sbcs upgrades) during the manual
installation?

B) Normally i would estimate the needed space by going to the Prepare for
Install option. As such i will be moving to DBCS, will the above method
still apply?

Regards,
igsang