Tom

I must be missing something. As I understand it, you can't DSPMSG QHST - the only way to show the "contents" of QHST is to use DSPLOG. Am I on the same page with you there?

I also thought that all messages are written to the current QHST* file very soon after being written to the *MSGQ. And running DSPLOG forces the dump to the file. So it seems to me you SHOULD see the same thing in both. I remember working this a couple years ago and finding occasional, rare instances where messages did not get to the most current QHST* - might depend on level of activity of your system.

The key for me was using a message ID on the DSPLOG command that would never be found. This was because I was doing programmatic stuff here. I did not want to see the messages, I didn't want a huge report, I just wanted to work with all I could get in the files. So DSPLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT) MSGID(@@@0000) results in a report with no data, but it forces the system to dump the *MSGQ. At least, that's what the books say.

I don't think the actual *MSGQ (which we cannot display directly) has all that much in it. The stuff is all in the files, even the stuff you see that looks like messages in the DSPLOG display. The stuff in the files has the message IDs and message data, all that is needed to use RTVMSG in order to make it displayable in what looks like a normal DSPMSG display - but it's only an illusion, AFAIK.

And the message data that is useful in the CPF1164 is never displayed through DSPLOG - it has some very nice performance info. And you don't even need the matching CPF1124 to get the start time - it is in a message data field that is not displayed in the message text.

But all these words probably don't matter much - I did not find anything missing if I did the DSPLOG as described first.

There's also the matter of the cleanup settings. And QHST* files that are not always in the correct order by the name. The name, as you probably know but for benefit of others, is the letters QHST followed by a Julian date (IIRC - 5 digits, anyway) followed by a final sequence character that is A-Z and 0-9, again, IIRC. So there is a limit of 36 for a given date - so the system will use older names that might be available - or something like that. There's a way to get the right order, but if I told everyone, I'd have to be arrested for mass homicide.

;-)

Vern