> From: Eduard Sluis
>
> Aside of the wrong tone.....
>   I would like to know because of what people state that using WDSc
> actually improves productivity.

Productivity improvements come from perhaps a half-dozen different areas,
depending on your development environment and your willingness to use them.

>   I don not like to wait so long to have my member list being build with
> WDSc.
>    - Yeah, takes time with all those members in a large system.
>    - PDM is fast and furius (with only 8 or 13 members at the time).

Learn to use filters properly.  Using a filter over a single source file
(which is all that PDM can do!) is much faster than filtering over multiple
files.  If you insist on creating member lists over multiple files (or
worse, multiple libraries) you pay the price.

>   I do not like to wait so long before my program loads with WDSc.
>   - Yeah, takes time to load the 1xxx records into the WDSc editor.
>   - SEU is fast and furius (with only wo records at the time).

There can be some complaint here, though not much.  My little model 520 just
opened a 7500 line RPGLE source member in four seconds.  And that was the
first time.  The second time I opened it, it was instantaneous, thanks to
the cache.

>   I do not like to wait so long for a compilation has taken place.
>   - Yeah, lot of communication upfront and afterwards to get the thing
> done.
>   - With only the compilation it can not be shorter.

Have you tried VERIFY?  The verify takes seconds, often just one or two.
The only time you need to compile is after the verify succeeds.

>   They, for all their personal reasons, do not see Productivity
> Improvements in using WDSc and they voluntarely choose PDM's character
> based development environment as prefered while before they had developed
> only in GUI based tools.

They've never been trained how to use the tool.  WDSC can be used well, or
used poorly.  I'll give you three things that instantly make WDSC more
productive, just from a green-screen point of view:

1. Real estate.  You can have 40, 60, even 80 lines from a member on a page,
with multiple members open simultaneously on the screen.

2. Outline view.  When you refresh the Outline, you have instant access to
every variable, every data structure, every procedure in the program.  You
can see where every variable is accessed OR modified.

3. Service Entry Points.  Ah, this is the best debugging tool since sliced
bread.  You can set a service entry point, and whenever the user hits that
module (no matter what job, interactive or batch), the job will be suspended
and control will be returned to WDSC.  Incredible.

And as I said, this is just for green screen guys.  Once you get past that
stage and start doing web development, the ability to easily work with
multiple member types in one IDE (including WYSYWYG editing for GUI pages)
and to be able to walk through breakpoints from a JSP to a servlet to a
back-end RPG programs; this is simply not possible in SEU.

Joe