Chris

I went digging around and finally found something in the open() Unix-style API, where the bit about "Each directory in the path" is relevant.

Authorization Required for open() (excluding QSYS.LIB, independent ASP QSYS.LIB,and QDLS) Object Referred to Authority Required errno Each directory in the path name preceding the object to be opened *X EACCES
Existing object when access mode is O_RDONLY                    *R      EACCES
Existing object when access mode is O_WRONLY                    *W      EACCES
Existing object when access mode is O_RDWR                      *RW     EACCES
Existing object when O_TRUNC is specified *W EACCES Parent directory of object to be created when object does not exist and O_CREAT is specified *WX EACCES

I like to think of directories as analogous to libraries and files to objects. You need execute authority to a library in order to see objects in that library, IIRC. Directories would be similar, except that each directory needs execute authority, as stated above. It seems this is a safe enough situation, as it takes write *W authority to a directory in order to add objects to it, right?

This analogy, as far as it goes, also helps me when using the SAV and RST commands. E.g., saving in the IFS without using an asterisk is like SAVLIB, and you can restore the directory, even if it does not exist on the target machine. If you specify files, even with '*', you do not get the directory saved along with the objects. This is just like SAVOBJ, where the containing library is not saved along with the objects.

Finally, a little more digging at the support site found this link

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1e3dc97d7f1aeaf348625685f005c6263

entitled "Integrated File System Authority Considerations". It's part of the registered knowledge base, but the link might get around that - I don't know. If you have software support you can get registered and use this part of the KB, as you probably know.

Just some rambling. HTH
Vern