When programming in RPG, we specify ending position of the text.

Depending on the varying widths of the static output, you might consider a table / array at the end of the program, listing standard phrases. For the RPG output you use labels like TEXT,7 or TEX,77 so you also need good naming for the arrays, or move the TEX,77 to an appropriately named field, then output that.

I also have some programs with a DO LOOP to output TEX,T where T is the index and it is printing vertical lines of the text from the array, and depending on the current "T" value, also print other stuff sideways.

In RPG, you are limited to like 24 characters sideways when specifying text, which can be a nuisance constructing longer phrases and getting them to line up perfect. With tables & arrays defined at the end of the program, you can do the text up to 79 long.

Using a PF is the way to go if in a later revision you want to be able to provide the same text but in a different human language. ... substitute different PF or MEMBER with rest of addressing the same for each language.

Programming in DDS can be more cumbersome than RPG.

I wonder if SDA could be used for this. Screens can be up to 132 wide, although the depth not as great as most reports.

In SDA you have full screen where you layout your text and fields.
Granted this is for a screen rather than some other DDS format, but the coding is not that much different for screen, file, report ... perhaps you could layout your report using SDA as if it was a screen, get the DDS code from that, then change it to a file.

I have not used it, but there is something called RLU which I believe is intended for making reports.

This is another of those simple questions that probably has an elegant
answer that I have never thought of.

I have a 50 row, 132 column form with a lot of static text.

Specifying the static text is cumbersome since I can not figure out a way to
program the 132 column fields in an easily editable manner.  Is there a full
screen editor that allows me to display the text as I want it?  You guys
must have solved this a long time ago.

Does this question make sense?