Joe,

 OK Pound on me all you want, I'm used to it.

Joe Pluta wrote:

And if there were such a built-in function, it would start with a %, as

all such built-in functions do.  That minimum level of familiarity with
the language helps when you use it.
And I use % as in %substr and %len but when the super duper integrated RSE editor doesn't know that there is no LEFT either I tried it.

Why would you assume that something you happened to look up in the help
would apply to RPG?

Because I was in an RPG source member when I pressed F1. It'a all about the context. Check out every politician who ever held an office and they will tell you their opponent tooke some statement out of context which (usually) twisted the meaning around 180 degrees. Go google RPG. Now google iSeries RPG. Totally and completely different context with totally and completely different resutls.

Ironically the help system has a tool to set the search scope (i.e. context) for your searching. Nowhere in the context does it allow you to select a language. Seems like an oversite to me.

 Far better to use the standard context-assist key
combination of Ctrl-space.
Never heard of it. So I just tried it. Got me a list of options such as *AND and *NOT and *HIVAL and *LOVAL etc etc. Pretty, um, useful?... Oh and that was SOO intuitive. Why I didn't think to hit ctrl-space, I'm just not sure.

Why would you assume that?  The Help text is there for the entire tool,
as opposed to the context-assist feature, which would have given you
only those things which made sense for the current editor.
Once again I was editing RPG so I would expect (in error apprently) that the help system would know that.

Unless you go to the table of contents link, which tells you that you
are in the REXX book.  I suppose a title on the top of every page to
tell you which language you are in might help, but as I said, you were
better off using content assist.
Better off by who's definition? Ctrl-alt-Shift-Del-backspace didn't help either. What other combos should I try?

I don't much understand this.  Since I don't know what @IFC contains and
I don't know what IPAddress contains, it's hard to know what this does.
But in your original issue, eval IPT2 = %subst(IPT1:1:LN) would have
worked just fine.

Just different variable names. In the original LN was already evaluated to %LEN(%TRIMR(@IFC)) to simplify debugging had it ever compiled.

Joe