Thank you all. The ',' -vs- ':' argument was very strong but the biggest problem was that I was trying to use the string function LEFT in ILE RPG. However there is no such function apparently. I don't program much outside of CL these days so when I was in the RSE editor I simply hit F1 and searched for LEFT. Sure 'nuf there it was so I keyed in the syntax and attempted a compile. I ASSUMED that the help system would know I was editing RPG and therefore wouldn't tell me about stuff from a foreign language. Of course I was incorrect. Interestingly the help text doesn't indicate which language the statement applies to at all!! Oh well the appropriate statement turned out to be this one in Free Form:

EVAL      @IPTRIM = %SUBST(IPAddress:1:%LEN(%TRIMR(@IFC)));

 Thanks again,

    - Larry

Jerry Adams wrote:

Larry,

It looks like the compiler is trying to tell you that the index into the array [LEFT is an array, right?] is invalid. Rather, wouldn't it be:
     EVAL   IPT2 = LEFT(LN)

I mean, you can't subscript an array with an alpha field, just 'numberic' fields.

If LEFT is a subprocedure, wouldn't the comma be a colon?
    * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries/i5 Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
    615.893.8633x152
fax
    615.995.1201
email
    jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

OK This is driving me freeking nuts. What is wrong with this eval statement?

IPT1 and IPT2 are 15 character alpha fields. LN is a 2.0 numberic field.

The errors are from the compiler.

             EVAL      IPT2 = LEFT(IPT1,LN)
>                                      abb
>                                       cc
*RNF0604 20 a The token is not valid; token is ignored.
*RNF0312 20 b A right parenthesis is expected but is not found.
*RNF5377 20 c The end of the expression is expected.

PLEASE tell me whats wrong or just hit me!!

Yes that's a comma above the 'a'.

 - Larry

ps: V5R3, RPGLE program.