Good point.  I have not taken a PC-formatted AS/400 drive and placed it
back in an AS/400.  In terms of device detection (4326, 6718, etc.) that
wouldn't be a problem since that's a firmware and not a format function.
But I'm not positive about the 400 low-level formatting the new drive.
Since it takes so darn long I would think the 400's add-to-ASP function
is (re)formatting the drive but I couldn't say for sure.  I suppose this
could be a barrier for what Guy wants to do unless someone can verify
that the drive movement can go both ways.

Maybe Dr. Frankenseries can chime in.