On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Larry Bolhuis wrote:

OK Whoever decided to post 'ifconfig' or 'ipconfig' in restpinse to the original ISERIES question, slap your keying finger it has caused nothing put confusion in this thread.

I brought it up, and I apologize. I had a reason, stated below, but maybe it wasn't good enough to justify the off topic.

Now that's an ISERIES answer! (and NO keystrokes were required to get it in iNav!)

I was lamenting that to me, the iSeries answer is so much friggin' work! On the face of it that may sound stupid, but repeated over and over in the course of administrating many machines over many hours all the steps of "click here, then here, then here, then right click here, then this, then..." are ineffecient and exasperating.

The fact that no keystrokes were required is precisely the problem! I can type 'ifconfig<enter>' far, far faster than make even two mouse clicks on different buttons. Even using keyboard shortcuts to navigate windows I can still type 'ifconfig<enter>' faster. And repeated over and over in the course of my job that little time and effort saved is precious.

And this doesn't even take into account the speed of the Windows PC you have to use to use the iSeries or the speed of the connection when that iSeries is remote. Give me a good command line any day. We have this giant keyboard right in front of us, let's use it!

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw