From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 08/17/05 14:30:34
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IP Address

> when I type in nslookup on the machine I am working on, I get an ip
address.
> When I run netstat, opt 1 I get  5 Network Addresses, including 127.0.0.1

NSLOOKUP is a tool used to test DNS to make sure it's working correctly.
The IP address that it shows when you just type NSLOOKUP and press ENTER
is the IP address OF YOUR DEFAULT DNS SERVER.

While that MIGHT be the IP address of your iSeries, if you're running your
own DNS server, it doesn't have to be. You can use DNS servers provided by
your Internet Service Providers, or one that's running on another machine
on your network, or whatever else you like.

There's also the possibility of running an iSeries without using DNS at
all.  I don't recommend it, but you could run an TCP/IP-enabled iSeries
that does everything by address rather than domain name.  Or, you could
put everythin in your hosts table.  In those cases, there'd be no DNS
server, so you'd get nowhere with NSLOOKUP.

Furthermore, NSLOOKUP is installed when the DNS server is -- so many
people reading this thread won't even have an NSLOOKUP command on their
systems.

Those who have said that the poster should use NETSTAT *IFC are absolutely
correct. This tells you the IP address of each TCP/IP enabled network
interface. One of the problems with the way that question was asked was
that you don't assign an IP address to a "computer".  You assign an IP
address to a "network interface". (Every system will have at least two IP
addresses, and can have thousands of them, depending on how many network
inferfaces it has.)

Of course, typing NETSTAT *IFC will only help you in an interactive
application where you want to know your IP addresses.

Sometimes you're writing program that needs the IP address, and since
there can be more than one, you need to know the CORRECT IP address for
what you're doing.

Without having any context, it's really difficult to give the "right"
answer to the question.