Yes, you do have to select both.   Say you want to break on OMHDT.  Create
a result field NEWDATE.
Select both fields.

                          Select and Sequence Fields
 Type sequence number (0-9999) for the names of up to 500 fields to
   appear in the report, press Enter.
 Seq   Field                     Text
Len  Dec
   10  NEWDATE           omhdt * 1                                       8
0
   20  OMHDT                  IN HAND DATE                         8    0
   30  OMORD#              ORDER NUMBER                     8    0
   40  OMPN                    ASSIST PART NUMBER      15

In the report copy screen, change the Column Spacing to 0 for OMHDT and
change the Len/Dec fields to 0.  Set your break on OMHDT.

                       Specify Report Column Formatting
Type information, press Enter.
  Column headings:  *NONE, aligned text lines
                       Column
Field             Spacing       Column Heading               Len  Dec
Edit
NEWDATE              0          In Hand                               8
0

OMHDT                    0          IN HAND                            0
0
                                                DATE

OMORD#                 2          ORDER                               8
0
                                                NUMBER

Sorry, I forgot to include this step.