Paul Nelson,

I'm the one that originally asked the question about this subject since
I found one of my users had started using CR against the iSeries.   As I
originally mentioned:

> It appears Crystal Reports uses DRDA via QUSRWRK and QRWTSRVR.   I
found
> the use of DRDA to be unusual since DRDA is usually used between
> DRDA-capable RDBMSs like two DB2s.  In this case, its just a user
using
> Crystal against one iSeries.

So, I'm not sure yet just how CR is configured against the iSeries
(ODBC, ADO, OLEDB or JDBC).  As someone pointed out it would appear that
CR has some sort of DB2 driver that works via DRDA to the iSeries OR the
person is using our DB2 on VM and "passing thru" via DRDA to DB2/400.

Do you have any idea how to look at the CR implementation or through
the iSeries to see what access method (ODBC, ADO, etc.) it is using?

You see, since there is NO tell users "NO" here, when it comes to what
tools they use to access the iSeries.  So, when and where I can, I try
to root out how they are accessing the system and what they are doing
and try to mitigate any exposures.

I'll keep in mind SEQUEL but right now, I'm trying to limit the number
of tools folks use and we have  four known query tools right now in use.
 I just hope they don't find out about EXCEL or ACCESS or even using
Word against the iSeries using ODBC before I can put some decent
controls and standards in place (oh, well I can dream).

(Whomever said something about SQL Server 2005... forget it!!  First,
its Microsoft, second its not a robust enough "database" I'd sanction to
serve more than a small shop of users but, to be fair, it is better than
Access, third, I wouldn't install SQL Server just use its query tools
even it I liked it, fourth, it works on a so called OS that is NOTORIOUS
for needing to be rebooted and full of security holes something that is
almost UNHEARD OF in a mini or mainframe computer.)

Sincerely,

Dave Odom
Arizona