I was going to suggest you post the relevant portions of your code that
call the QtmmSendMail API.  Even though you described how you call it,
it's possible the actual code building the parameters will reveal
something else.

QtmmSendMail works with V5R3 and ironically, "mailtool" is probably
using QtmmSendMail as well.  But it's understandable if you just want to
buy something and be done with it.