>Rob and Ken:
>I tried to understand and use move policies.  I really did.  Backups bombed
>because even though WRKMLBBRM showed the correct, expired tape was at
>Mounted status in the MLB, when the backup fired, BRMS thought it was in
the
>safe.  Our IBM BP said he never used move policies because they made it
more
>complicated than necessary and he never understood it.  He was no help.
>Since I had bigger fish to fry, I moved on (pun intended).

Jeff ...

Here is how I use BRMS:

#1 - A "Scratch Pool" is just a bunch of tapes that have been initialized by
BRMS. Usually this is done via the INZMEDBRM command.

Give each tape a unique Volume Serial Number and let BRMS control when a
tape can be used based on expiration date.

A tape is given a retention date based on the Media Policy.

A previously used tape is scratched when the BRMS maintenance process is
run. You should run this command daily after all backup processing has
completed". Here is the one I run:

STRMNTBRM EXPMED(*YES)
        RMVMEDI(*REUSE *MEDCON)
        RMVMGRINF(180)
        MOVMED(*NO)
        RMVLOGE(*ALL *BEGIN 60)
        RUNCLNUP(*YES)
        RTVVOLSTAT(*YES)
        AUDSYSMED(*NETGRP)
        CHGJRN(*YES)
        PRTEXPMED(*NO)
        PRTVSNRPT(*NO)
        PRTBKUACT(*NO)
        PRTRCYRPT(*NONE)
        RCYLOC(*ALL)

#2 - Use Move Policies to define tape movement from one place to another.
For example a daily Move Policy could be this simple:

Display Move Policy

Move policy . . . . . . . . . . : DAILY

Home location . . . . . . . . . : *SYSPCY

Use container . . . . . . . . . : *NO

Verify moves . . . . . . . . . : *NO

Calendar for working days . . . : *ALLDAYS

Calendar for move days . . . . : WORKING

Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAILY MOVE POLICY

Seq Location Duration

10  VAULT     8

This move policy would make a tape to be moved to the vault and not schedule
it to be returned for 8 days. Associate a Move Policy with a Media Policy:

Display Media Policy

Media policy . . . . . . . . . . : DAILY

Retention type . . . . . . . . . : 2 1=Date, 2=Days,

                                   3=Versions, 4=Permanent

Retain media . . . . . . . . . : 14

Move policy . . . . . . . . . . : DAILY

Media class . . . . . . . . . . : FMT3590E

Storage location . . . . . . . . : *ANY

Save to save file . . . . . . . : *NO

ASP for save files . . . . . . : *SYSTEM

Save file retention type . . . : 4 1=Date, 2=Days,

                                  3=Permanent, 4=None

Retain save files . . . . . : *NONE

ASP storage limit . . . . . . : 90

Secure media . . . . . . . . . . . *NO

Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Policy for DAILY CHANGE saves E11

With this entire configuration in place all you have to do then is run the
MOVMEDBRM command to cause moves to be reflected in the BRMS database. It
creates a picking list that can be used to select the tapes and physically
move them off site. I run this after the BRMS maintenance process finishes
(STRMNTBRM). I run it separately so I can immediately print the reports,
prepare the tapes for movement to the off site location, verify that
everything is schedule to move correctly and then fill out and file the off
site companies movement form.

Help Text for MOVMEDBRM:

The Move Media using BRM (MOVMEDBRM) command moves media based on
BRMS move policies. Media that is moved as a result of processing
this command must meet not only the move policy requirements (for
example, allowable move day) but also the criteria specified in the
command for location, media class, system name and so on. The
MOVMEDBRM command can be a job in the system scheduler that can run
automatically or you can submit the command manually. The Volume
Movement Report is produced when you run the MOVMEDBRM command. The
report is written to printer file QP1AVMS.

I hope this helps ...

Kenneth