I can think of an even easier way to manage your tapes using BRMS....

What if you just created a "pool of tapes" using unique Volume Serial
numbers (i.e. E00001 - E99999) and then let BRMS manage where your data is
stored on those tapes???

After all, this is one of the strengths of BRMS, managing your tape library,
let it do that for you.

You already let the system manage where it stores data on disk, right? Well
using this same concept, let BRMS manage where data is stored on tape.

When a tape is created it is given an expiration date based on the media
policy.

When the expiration date is reached the tape is then returned to the
"scratch pool" when the BRMS maintenance process is run.

All the operator has to do is to run a daily "scratch tape" report and then
make sure the tape drive is loaded with these tapes. BRMS takes care of the
rest....

... and when you need to recover something, BRMS will tell you which tape to
mount.

I think this is a much easier way to handle you backup tapes using BRMS....

Kenneth