I believe you're missing the point of the article.  The point wasn't that
"legacy systems are bound to fail"; the point was that management failed to
realize the risk they were running "getting by" with a system that didn't
really meet the current needs very well.

I don't know where you heard that the hard coded limitation was known, but even
if that was indeed true, I'd imagine that no one understood what exceeding that
limit was going to do.  Again, management (and IT) failed to realize the risk
they were running.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343