Hi Jim,

The DDS keyword BARCODE causes the IBM host to pass a
request to build a barcode to an IPDS capable printer.
The actual barcode creation occurs within the printer
itself. The width of a Code 3 of 9 barcode is
determined by the minimum module width (narrowest bar
width) because all of the wider bars are calculated as
a multiplier of the minimum module width value.

If no minimum module width value is specified in the
BARCODE keyword, the target printer uses its internal
default for the type of barcode requested.

IBM online documentation lists the options for the
BARCODE keyword as follows:

BARCODE(bar-code-ID [height] [[*HRZ | *VRT]
        [*HRI | *HRITOP | *NOHRI] [*AST | *NOAST]
        [modifier] [unit-width]
        [wide/narrow-ratio]
        [PDF417 data]
        [Data Matrix data]
        [Maxicode data]])

The unit-width value is where you specify the minimum
module width.

Further IBM info:

Specify the width (in inches) of the narrow bar/space.
It is specified as an expression of the form (*WIDTH
value). There is more information on how to specify
expressions, in the DDS Concepts information. The
valid values for the parameter are 0.007 through
0.208.

So the most likely reasons for the wider barcode would
be as follows:

1. Minimum Module width printer default value for Code
3 of 9 is different than the value used previously
with the older system.

2. Wide to Narrow ratio is different than the value
used previously with the older system.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxxx

>date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:54:41 -0800 (PST)
>from: franz400 <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: V5R3 barcode problem
>
>I have an odd situation on a i5 v5r3. I save/restored
>the config for an ipds printer, and using psf/400.
>Everything prints exactly as before except one 3 of 9

>barcode, which is twice as long as normal, and
running >off the page. The following dds was used
>A      @CERT4   16    (POSITION 11.40  3.10)
>                       BARCODE(CODE3OF9 1)
>same printer file has other barcodes (postnet &
>code128). Spool compiled as *afpds. All other fonts,
>etc appear as before. Nothing changed from prev
system >to this system. No errors in job log. This
barcode is >printing approx 4 inches long and should
be 2 - 2 1/2.
>Data in field has not changed.
>
>Have searched print ptf docs in  knowledge base.
>Hard to do a support call when not on site
w/printer..