Hi Kirk,

I looked at the Xerox web site (driver download
section) and found the following comment included with
the PCL driver for Windows operating system
environments.

"Web-based PCL driver installer for the Phaser 8400
color printer. Only install this driver when printing
from an application that requires PCL. The PostScript
driver is recommended for printing from the majority
of applications. Microsoft WHQL certified."

During my career I have seen quite a number of
printers offering support for multiple printer
languages, which have yielded a different hardware
performance depending upon the printer language
selected.

It is possible the slower speed from the iSeries has
nothing to do with the iSeries other than sending PCL
formatted information instead of PostScript.

If you have iSeries Access, you could test this
thought in the following fashion.

Create a PC5250 printing session that was not using
Host Print Transform (uncheck the box Transform Print
Data to ASCII on AS/400). The i5 OS or OS/400 EBCDIC
data will be transferred natively from the IBM host to
the PC running iSeries Access.

If you also make sure that you do not select the Use
PDT checkbox, iSeries Access will convert your EBCDIC
data into a Windows format known as GDI on the PC
running iSeries Access. The GDI format is the generic
input format required by Windows print drivers.

You will then be able to use the Xerox 8400 PostScript
print driver for Windows to format the IBM host data
and you can see whether the printing is faster. The
only limitation to this idea is that it only supports
*SCS spool files. It cannot be used with *AFPDS spool
files.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxxx

>date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:46:18 -0800
>from: kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>subject: Printing Speed on an Xerox Phaser 8400 Color
>
> I have a client with an  Xerox Phaser 8400 Color
>printer. Using the Support for ASCII Printers page
for >Xerox there is no 8400 but there is an 8200. The
>client can print but at best gets about 10-12ppm vs
>22-24 from a PC. We have tried both RMTOUTQ and PJL
>with little to no change in the speed. I'm going to
>review system performance including memory etc for
>the QSPL sbs.
>
>Any other ideas why the 400 can't feed data any
faster >to this printer?