The easiest way to do this is to walk through it in iSeries Navigator.  The
parms are pretty straight forward.  The only part that I had to do in the
greenscreen was setting up the SMTP gateway, which is very simple.  You can
find some nice instructions in the Information Center, under
Networking--TCPIP--E-mail--Configure e-mail.

If you are simply sending email out from the iSeries, and it is not acting
as your actual mailbox server the configuration is much simpler, but the
instructions are harder to find.  I would suggest looking in the iSeries
Redbooks for these instructions (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/).  Try Redbook
# SG246321, and look in chapter 4.  You can also find some of the
configuration settings on pages 94 and 348.

The keys to it all are setting up the directory enty and distribution
attributes (INTERNET GATEWAY), then making sure that your SMTP configuration
matches your network configuration and policies.  For instance, our iSeries
server acts as its own mail router, so we have that parm turned off.  Also,
our network does not allow mail relaying, so we have to set the SMTP relay
restrictions to only allow the iSeries to relay its own messages.  Most of
the other parms are straight forward and easy to figure out.  Most of our
configuration is default settings.

Good Luck!  Respond back if you have any questions.  I'll try to help.

Chris Rees
Southwest Missouri State University