Instead of reloading the entire cum CD's for all program products, I had
some success just 2 days ago with this, reloading a V4R5 system for a
customer who had remodelled their office and lost all their SAVSYS tapes.
All they had was a nightly backup tape.

The nightly backup contained:
SAVSECDTA
SAVCFG
RTVSYSINF into QTEMP and SAVOBJ to a savefile in QGPL
SAVLIB of QGPL & QUSRSYS (save while active - but this customer not
running Fax, DHCP, DNS, etc).
SAVDLO
SAVLIB *IBM
SAVLIB *ALLUSR
SAV /*  (omitting /QDLS & /QSYS.LIB)

(The joblog showed that there wee no objects not saved).

Restored with:
- Manual IPL "D M" to reload LIC from V4R5 CD (IBASE_1)
- Restored Operating System from CD

If the user has their own SAVSYS tape at that point they could have
CALL'ed a program I wrote to reload everything from the nightly backup
tape.  And if they hadn't applied any more PTF's since the SAVSYS that
would have been it.  But they didn't, so we did this with their nightly
backup tape:

- RSTUSRPRF *ALL
- RSTCFG
- Reinstalled latest cumulative PTF CD's (PTF's loaded for LIC & base
OS/400 only, set for delayed apply)
- RSTLIB QGPL
- set front panel IPL back to "B N"

Restoring QGPL put back the restore program I have written, which did:

- RSTLIB QUSRSYS
- RSTOBJ *ALL to QTEMP (the savefile in QGPL containing RTVSYSINF objects)
and run UPDSYSINF
- RSTDLO
- RSTLIB *IBM (included all optional OS/400 part and LPP PTF's)
- RSTLIB *ALLUSR
- RST /*
- RSTAUT *ALL
- IPL

The program ran unattended overnight for around 6.5 hours and the system
was almost ready to go in the morning.
The commands in QSYS linking to LPP's (STRPDM, SNDTCPSPLF, etc.) were
missing because they didn't have their SAVSYS tape, so I did a SAVOBJ from
another V4R5 system of all *CMD and *MENU objects in QSYS, then restored
them onto their system (with OPTION(*NEW) on the RSTOBJ).
First time we used SNADS the system rebuilt the distribution index and we
just had to ENDMSF then STRMSF.

...Neil

Al Barsa <barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/12/05 13:27

midrange-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Fw: Does Go Restore Option 21 restore ptf's???

             Al Barsa/Barsa
             Consulting

Assuming that you are reloading OS/400 from the tape, the PTF's should all
be there.

If you are not you will have a mess, and your only solution would to be to
re-cume the whole system.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com