Hi Jeff -

OK.  Is there any reason for me to pursue this with Verizon?  I.E. is there
any advantage to my company to relay the mail through Verizon?

Verizon has a reputation as a spammy ISP. (I just added another chunk of Verizon netspace to my server email blocks earlier this week because of spam.) You could be blocked because you are in Verizon netspace, but Verizon's own servers could be blocked also.

So if you find a need to relay, for any reason, you're better off making arrangements with an ISP that has a good reputation. You can have it set up so that your email will be accepted for relay on the basis of your static IP address. Sure it'll cost you money, but not that much. I'm paying $24/year for this kind of arrangement.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.