Hi Dan,

As Philipp mentioned, the PCL command construction for
PCL levels up through 5e typically has a prologue,
some variable information, and a closing character.
Many commands can start with the same prologue so that
it is the terminating character that gives them their
meaning.

I have access to one of those tools that breaks apart
a printable file and lists all of the commands found
in it. The output from the tool is listed below for
the file I posted earlier. You will see a series of
commands that begin ESC&l but each one ends with a
different terminating character. The input tray
command is terminated with the character H.

[ ESC % -12345 X ]    Exit Language
@PJL JOB NAME="Document"
@PJL COMMENT RPJL,WIN2000,PCL5e,3.4.0.0,GRAYSCALE
@PJL SET TIME="15:51:10"
@PJL SET DATE="2004/10/22"
@PJL SET USERID="?"
@PJL SET SMOOTHING=ON
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL SET STAPLE=OFF
@PJL SET AUTOTRAYCHANGE=OFF
@PJL SET JOBOFFSET=OFF
@PJL SET PUNCH=OFF
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=OFF
@PJL SET FUSERCONTROL=PLAINPAPER
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
[ ESC E ]             Reset
[ ESC * r 0 F ]       Raster Presentation Mode :
Logical Page Orientation
[ ESC & u 600 D ]     Set PCL Units Of Measure (600
per inch)
[ ESC % 0 B ]         Enter HPGL : Pen at previous
HPGL pen position
[ HPGL ]              IN;
[ HPGL ]              WU 0;
[ HPGL ]              PW 0, 0;
[ HPGL ]              PW 0, 1;
[ HPGL ]              UL 1, 60, 40;
[ HPGL ]              UL 2, 12.5, 12.5, 12.5, 12.5,
12.5, 12.5, 12.5...;
[ HPGL ]              UL 3, 40, 25, 10, 25;
[ HPGL ]              UL 4, 35, 15, 10, 15, 10, 15;
[ HPGL ]              LT 0, 10, 1;
[ HPGL ]              LT;
[ HPGL ]              LA 1, 4, 2, 1;
[ HPGL ]              SP 1;
[ HPGL ]              TD 1;
[ HPGL ]              LO 21;
[ HPGL ]              TR 0;
[ HPGL ]              CF 2;
[ ESC % 0 A ]         Enter PCL : Pen at previous PCL
cursor position
[ ESC & l 1 X ]       Number Of Copies : 1
[ ESC & l 4 H ]       Select Paper Source : Lower
[Page Eject offset 553 ]
[ ESC & l 8 E ]       Top Margin ( 8 lines )
[ ESC & l 2 A ]       Set Page Size : Letter
[ ESC & l 0 o ]       Paper Orientation : Portrait
[ ESC & l 6 d ]       Line Spacing, lines per inch ( 6
lines )
[ ESC & l 1 E ]       Top Margin ( 1 lines )
[ ESC & l 0 S ]       Duplex Mode Setting : Simplex
[ ESC * t 600 R ]     Raster Graphics Resolution : 600
[ ESC * v 1 o ]       Set Pattern Transparency :
Opaque
[ ESC * v n ]         Set Source  Transparency :
Transparent
[ ESC * v T ]         Set Current Pattern : Solid
Black
[ ESC * p x ]         Absolute Move of X by PCL dot
unit : 0
[ ESC * p Y ]         Absolute Move of Y by PCL dot
unit : 0
[ ESC * c 5761.2 x ]  HPGL Picture Frame Width
(Decipoints) : 5761
[ ESC * c 7681.2 y ]  HPGL Picture Frame Height
(Decipoints) : 7681
[ ESC * c T ]         HPGL Set Picture Frame Anchor
Point
[ ESC % 0 B ]         Enter HPGL : Pen at previous
HPGL pen position
[ HPGL ]              SC 0, 1.693333, 0, -1.693333, 2;
[ HPGL ]              IR 0, 100, 0, 100;
[ ESC % 0 A ]         Enter PCL : Pen at previous PCL
cursor position
[ ESC * v 0 n ]       Set Source  Transparency :
Transparent
[ ESC * v 1 O ]       Set Pattern Transparency :
Opaque
[ ESC * l 240 O ]     Set ROP Code : 240
[ ESC * l 1 R ]       Pixel Placement
[ ESC % 0 B ]         Enter HPGL : Pen at previous
HPGL pen position
[ HPGL ]              PE (Polygon encoded)
[ HPGL ]              FT 10, 0;
[ HPGL ]              IW;
[ HPGL ]              RR 3600, 93;
[ ESC % 0 A ]         Enter PCL : Pen at previous PCL
cursor position
[ ESC ( s 1 p ]       Primary Font Spacing :
Proportional
[ ESC ( s 0 s ]       Primary Font Style ( 0 ) :
Upright
[ ESC ( s 0 b ]       Primary Font Weight ( 0 ) :
Medium, Book or Text
[ ESC ( s 16602 t ]   Primary Typeface : Arial
[ ESC ( s 10.00 V ]   Primary Font Pt Size : 10.00
[ ESC ( 5 T ]         Primary Symbol Set : Windows 3.1
Latin 5
[ ESC * l 252 O ]     Set ROP Code : 252
[ ESC * v 0 T ]       Set Current Pattern : Solid
Black
[ ESC * p 600 x ]     Absolute Move of X by PCL dot
unit : 600
[ ESC * p 575 Y ]     Absolute Move of Y by PCL dot
unit : 575
This is a test.
[ ESC % 0 B ]         Enter HPGL : Pen at previous
HPGL pen position
[ HPGL ]              SB;
[ ESC % 0 A ]         Enter PCL : Pen at previous PCL
cursor position
<FF>
[Page Eject offset 790 ]
[ ESC % -12345 X ]    Exit Language
@PJL EOJ NAME="Document"
[ ESC % -12345 X ]    Exit Language

============ PCL Escape Summary =================

Escape       Description
        Occurances
------       -----------
        ----------

<ESC>E       Reset
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#A    Set Page Size
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#D    Line Spacing, lines per inch
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#E    Top Margin
        :     2 times
<ESC>&l#H    Select Paper Source
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#O    Paper Orientation
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#S    Duplex Mode Setting
        :     1 time
<ESC>&l#X    Number Of Copies
        :     1 time
<ESC>&u#D    Set PCL Units Of Measure
        :     1 time
<ESC>(s#B    Primary Font Weight
        :     1 time
<ESC>(s#P    Primary Font Spacing
        :     1 time
<ESC>(s#S    Primary Font Style
        :     1 time
<ESC>(s#T    Primary Typeface
        :     1 time
<ESC>(s#V    Primary Font Pt Size
        :     1 time
<ESC>(#T     Primary Symbol Set
        :     1 time
<ESC>*c#T    HPGL Set Picture Frame Anchor Point
        :     1 time
<ESC>*c#X    HPGL Picture Frame Width
        :     1 time
<ESC>*c#Y    HPGL Picture Frame Height
        :     1 time
<ESC>*l#O    Set ROP Code
        :     2 times
<ESC>*l#R    Pixel Placement
        :     1 time
<ESC>*p#X    X by PCL dot unit
        :     2 times
<ESC>*p#Y    Y by PCL dot unit
        :     2 times
<ESC>*r#F    Raster Presentation Mode
        :     1 time
<ESC>*t#R    Raster Graphics Resolution
        :     1 time
<ESC>*v#N    Set Source  Transparency
        :     2 times
<ESC>*v#O    Set Pattern Transparency
        :     2 times
<ESC>*v#T    Set Current Pattern
        :     2 times
<ESC>%#A     Enter PCL
        :     4 times
<ESC>%#B     Enter HPGL
        :     4 times
<ESC>%#X     Exit Language
        :     3 times

45 Escape sequences

======================================

To answer your other question, yes you can download
and install a Windows print driver for a printer you
don't have on your network and use it successfully in
print to file mode. The only MFP drivers that don't
permit this are ones which query the device on the
network for installed components before opening the
Properties dialog box.

I have my own consulting company now but for many
years in the past, I worked for a series of different
vendors who offered S/3X, AS/400, and iSeries printing
solutions for a wide variety of printers including
MFP's. In some cases, the companies where I worked
were on the third party enabler list of an MFP
manufacturer and they still had great difficulty
getting the PCL drawer selection information you were
searching for today. This is what caused me to learn
that the Windows print drivers for these MFP devices
could be very helpful to me.

To change to the PCL 5e driver means that you will
need to download it from the Savin web site. You are
allowed to have the PCL 6 and the PCL 5e drivers for
the same model of printer installed on the same PC as
they are totally separate Windows printer drivers.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--