I had SP2 on 2 or 3 machines at my previous job, to test the company's proprietary sockets interface. RUNRMTCMD had to be listed as allowed - article tells how. A few things in Ops Nav had to be allowed. I think I also had a little with WDSC. Basically, it's a one-time thing when the "firewall" asks you what to do.

If you have applications that use sockets, be sure to test them. If the connections is initiated outside of the WinXP box, you may need to set the firewall to allow it. Otherwise, you should be fine.