After reading Scott's post and re-reading your original again, I reply here
under the presumption that you are backing up your entire PC so that you are
able to restore the entire environment in case of a HD failure.  If that is
the case, you should not be backing up within the Windows environment.
Windows locks many objects that (normally) cannot be saved while Windows is
active.  I will stop here and suggest that anyone still interested should
check out the PC-tech archives and search for "image backups" or "BootItNG".