From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tena Hewes
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 4:43 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Data Transfer Tool

Phew! Ok, let me see if I can clarify...
We have an application that runs on SQL server (An SQL database w/ an Access
user interface).
Currently, we have a program running in Access (VBA) on our SQL server that
"looks" at the AS400 DQ (out) every minute to determine if there is any data
needing to be transferred. When there is, it is imported in to a "holding"
table, where a stored procedure processes it. We also need to do the same
thing backwards. There is another holding table in our SQL application that
stores the data waiting to be transmitted back to the AS400 and sends it to
another AS400 DQ (in) where the AS400 takes over.
This whole process is in place to make sure data (Inventory, PO's, Orders,
etc.) is synced up on an ongoing basis. Timed data feeds going from the
AS400 to our SQL app. are reasonable, but coming from the app. to the AS400
need to be "real-time".
Ok, the problem is this interface program between the AS400 and the SQL
server does not make me feel "warm and fuzzy". It has to always be running,
and if you happen to log on to the server as another user, you may not see
it running on your session. I really want something "hands-off". I want to
be able to set up 'jobs' on my SQL server (or AS400, if I know what I am
doing) that run automatically, so these data queues are populated behind the
scenes.

In answer to the following:
"Do you have iSeries Access?"
I am assuming you mean can I get my hands on it? Yes.

"One possibility is to export the data from Access into a different file
format."
Like Excel?

"Judging by what I perceive your background to be, you might find it easier
to create this intermediate file in DB2 using iSeries Access Navigator
Database tool."
Where would I find this? My background (other than an AS400 user) is
completely PC based. I like pictures!!! I try to navigate in the AS400 by
clicking...:( )

"There's other little tricks, like CCSID but that's one general path to
walk."

I hope this explains some things?
Thanks so much for the responses!
Tena