How about just making the physical pretty wide (say 2048 bytes)?  The
likelihood of a report going larger than that is really small, and
assuming the file is temporary the wasted space is trivial.

If you don't do that but do get the actual length, remember to add a
couple of bytes to account for formatting codes.