Well, first I would question the use of CPYSPLF.  Suggesting instead an
output file or some such thing versus generating a spool file.  Then I
might suggest that if you are trying to email the file to use another
tool, one that wouldn't lose the line spacing, overlays, etc.  If you were
trying to ftp it down to a PC I might suggest using iSeries Navigator or
another tool.

However if for some reason you perceive that you just have to do it this
way, I suppose you could do it with a two step process.  In the first step
you do your normal CPYSPLF.  Then jab a little sql at that
SELECT max(length(rtrim(SPOOL))) FROM rob/spool
Then create your new physical file based on this number.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755

"York, Albert" <albert.york@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/05/2004 11:47 AM
Please respond to

"'MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Fax to

Determining spool file record length

I need to determine the record size (characters per line) of a spool file,
so I can create a physical file of the correct length when I use the

I have tried using WRKSPLFA to a print file but it doesn't always have the
actual number of characters, only the maximum for the print file.

Albert York