Dave

Do you have a link to the presentation? Maybe on the iSereis DB2 site?

One of the statements seems a little weird--"from the current native flat file, keyed-sequence file structure created by DDS to RDBMS tables created by DDL". Why this seems strange is, the RDBMS tables created with DDL are exactly the same as the files created by DDS. An SQL table is a physical file, after all. Some attributes differ - an SQL table can have only one member, where a PF can have as many as allowed. There are other small distinctions, but to suggest they are as different as this statement does is just not true. Besides, PFs created via DDS are treated by SQL exactly the same as tables created via DDL, and vice versa. Views and indexes are variants of the good old logical files, and can be used interchangeably with standard LFs in many situations.

it is true that IBM is not going to add anything to DDS - OK. And suggestions for how to manage SQL objects are welcome. It seems to me these things must already exist for other databases. And database modelers like ERWin and Popkin have been around for awhile - Popkin has handled reverse-engineering AS/400 stuff for years, and it has generated either DDS or DDL for database models you set up in it.

Rob has presented many of the points. I believe that it is best to use the tool that fits the need best. I'm convinced that single-record activity, native I/O will outperform SQL. OTOH, blocked, recordset processing is just what SQL was made for.

JMHO
Vern