I'm curious to know how many iSeries shops have heard the following and
will be heeding IBM's "nudging" and making the moves as described
below:

I went to a local iSeries user group meeting yesterday and an IBMer
from Rochester gave a presentation about IBMs direction concerning DDS
vs. DDL and ways to migrate from the current native flat file,
keyed-sequence file structure created by DDS to RDBMS tables created by
DDL.   He said that IBM's direction, and where their money is being
spent, is on SQL enhancements and not to DDS when it comes to data
structure definition.  The same is true for data access and manipulation
vis-a-vis SQL Data Manipulation Language (DML) vs. native READs, WRITEs,
CHAINS, etc.  In addition, the jest was that customers should make plans
to move both their data structure definition and application functions
to an SQL oriented world and away from, for the most part, the native
methodologies that have been around since S/38 days.

I happen to think many of the presenters words were wise so the iSeries
may be seen by customer senior mangers(those that pay the bills) as a
modern platform that is "with it" and that can complete with other
platforms and database engines as companies look to the future and
create strategic directions.   He offered a "step-wise" approach for
those applications that were pretty static as far as enhancements were
concerned but advised any new applications and data structures be
designed and implemented using the new "way, truth and light".    As the
iSeries has Unix variants and Oracle or PCs and SQL Server or Oracle
biting at its heels, and many new function apps are being designed for
Microsoft operating systems or Linux or Unix, it seems like a wise move
and one that can show the iSeries engine can be a major player
especially now that you can have LPARs which can run OS/400, Linux and
AIX.   It also seems wise for the technical folks as skills in SQL and
true RDBMS data architecture are the way to go out there if you are
thinking about moving off the iSeries or your company mandates it.

Since this presentation has been out for awhile, I may have missed your
reaction to it.  What do you and your companies think and plan to do?
I'm curious for myself.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Odom
Casa Grande, AZ