Pete,

I have been adopted authority to perform swaps for a few years now and
it seems to work well. It is very difficult to close all entry points to
an iSeries system. Also, many believe that only authorized program/user
combinations should be able to update some types of data (not DFU,
ad-hoc SQL, etc.). With those things in mind, the only solution is
adoption or some form of swapping. Adoption used to always work but
there are quite a few areas it doesn't cover like IFS and recursive
triggers. That leaves some form of swapping from a program that adopts.
The most efficient and least intrusive way I have found to swap is to
use the POSIX set effective group/supplemental group APIs along with the
call stack termination exit. There are a few inconsistent areas where
this won't work (debug, sbmjob w/user, ?), and some cases (registered
exits, ?) where you can't reset the swap when the program comes off the
stack but overall I think it is a good solution.

David Morris

>>> pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/22/2004 5:46:04 PM >>>
AThis sounds pretty scary.  I've known about adopted authority since
the
>early days of the AS/400, but profile switching is news to me.
>
>Am I reading this right?  Joe User can sign on with his profile, use
some
>magic command, and he can become QSECOFR?  With no trace back to Joe
>User's profile?

It's not all that scary. You could potentially do that if you knew the

password, but then you could log on as qsecofr anyway. The concern as I
see
it, is that in order to swap profiles without knowing the password
(which
is desirable for programmatic use), you need to have *USE authority to
the
user profile. That can cause some security exposure unless it's handled

very intelligently. I really don't think profile swapping is more
dangerous
than adopting authority. The issues are a little more subtle perhaps,
but
not all that different. I think if you're going to be using profile
swapping, the swapped-to profile should not have more authority than
the
user. It should just have one specific capability that's needed for a
particular job step. Once that part of the job is done, the original
user
should be restored. If the need for profile swapping is security
related,
maybe the program that does the swap needs to run with adopted
authority.
Oh, what tangled webs we weave...

Pete Hall