--- Hans Boldt <boldt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's a story one American co-worker told me about 22 years
> ago:
>
> Apparently he and a group of friends wanted to cross the border from
> Detroit to Windsor to do some bar-hopping in Windsor. (Go fig!)

When I turned 18 (twenty-something years ago), the legal drinking age in
Michigan was 18.  Somewhere between 18 & 21, Michigan upped it to 21.
Ever since, Windsor has been *the* scene for 18-21 year olds.

> Anyways,
> at the Canada Customs booth, they were asked if they had any guns in the
> car, and they said no. But a search revealed they were lying, and they
> had to pay a $500 find and the gun was confiscated. As they were
> leaving, they asked the customs agent what would have happened if they
> said yes. The official told them "No problem. You'd just have to leave
> the gun here and pick it up again on your way back home."

Jeez, the horror stories I've heard about people who don't take customs
seriously.  P*ss off a customs agent and enjoy watching your car get
stri*p*ped.  You get to put it back together.  No kidding.

All of my experiences with customs have been non-events, but that's
because all the joking stops, the radio turns off, we look the customs
agents in the eyes, give them straight & courteous answers, and we're on
our way.  I've never had my car searched.

GA