Hello Darren,
your information is simply not sufficient to say yes or no !
Giving an ip address without the subnet mask is like giving the streetname
(a long road assumed) without the number of the house.
So, *if* your network has a subnet-mask in such a way that these addresses
you gave us are both in the same segment, then you don't need to route.
This would normally be the case with an 255.255.255.0 mask (sometimes noted
as /24 = 24 bits mask in so called "Cisco notation")
Since your network doesn't have private addresses, chance are that you have
a different mask, for instance /27 = 255.255.255.224 which would give you a
net with 30 hosts starting from 194.130.10.0 and ending at 194.130.10.32
and a second net from 194.130.10.33 to 194.130.10.64 and so on.

HTH, Philipp

Darren McBride schrieb:

Folks,

I contacted the list previously about a similar problem concerning VPN's and
I learned a lot from the replies, but I still have configuration issues
concerning TCP/IP client and server programs in general.

I have written a TCP/IP client program in ILE RPG that works at one client
site, but not another. Both sites are on V4R4. The program communicates with
a server program on the user's PC. The site where the program is not working
does not have any TCP/IP routing configured, because the PC's and the AS/400
are on the same network.

Is it necessary to configure a TCP/IP route for the same network address
range ?

AS/400 194.130. 10.1

   mask 255.255.255.0  (decimal notation)

Client 194.130. 10.56

   mask 255.255.255.0
binary   11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000
you see the logic behind it ?
Only the "unmasked" bits are used to address the hosts inside your segment.

Thanks in advance, Darren McBride