G Armour wrote:

--- Don <dr2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did someone already mention bringing a birth certificate if you don't
have a passport?  That would be a heckuva bummer to be turned away at
customs if you didn't have that.

Has this changed? Last time I was up there all I needed was a US
driver's license...

<snip>

Was that pre-9/11?  Or post-?

Based on what I've heard from people who make the crossing at Sarnia &
Windsor on a somewhat periodic basis, you're not always asked to produce
proof of citizenship. But when you are, a driver's license won't cut it. We always pack a copy of our birth certs when we cross.

Others may have more current / better advice in this area.

GA

Also note that after the conference, you'll also need the appropriate documentation to convince the US Customs and Immigration officials that you're allowed back in the States. (Note that for people flying from Toronto to the US, you clear US Customs at the Toronto airport.)

(Another hint for flyers: There's a lot of construction going on at the airport. Probably the best way to avoid the construction is to use an airline that uses Terminal 3, which is largely unaffected by the redevelopment plan. The open parts of the new Terminal 1 are reportedly very impressive, but AFAIK, it's not used for US flights.)

Cheers! Hans