Scott:

Now I'm hoping my comment didn't come across as a negative criticism of your
articles. That certainly wasn't intended and I apologize for lack of clarity if
it did.

I wanted to point out for the do-it-yourselfer who wants to save/restore
spooled files that single user spaces have the 16MB limit. A clear
understanding of what that means is far better to obtain before putting a
save-and-clear outq function into production. If such a function is part of
nightly processing and that processing must be delayed due to an inability to
clear an outq, the programmer will get a lot less sleep that night if a fix is
needed ASAP.

Unfortunately, the problem will pop up only on those reports that are monsters,
either due to massive complexity or due to simple huge number of pages... or a
combination. Such reports tend to be the ones that have high value. I'd hate to
have to work out the details of properly saving a multi-space spooled file
overnight.

Tests could run for months without a hint of a problem. Then along comes some
end-of-year monster...

The last site I worked at regularly had 90000-100000 spooled files online every
day. Every once in a while, the number would bump past what QUSLSPL could list
in a space. Gave me a very hurried intro to the Open List... APIs. Not exactly
the same, but it pays to assume that limits _will_ be reached. While you're
less likely to bump into that kind of problem, it can't hurt to warn new DIYers.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.