> Why this restriction?
Because we already know it can be done programmatically. (although I can't
do it in less than 30 minutes)
I see the need for doing this for other reasons and as a line item fix on
"other peoples" software.
Native works for me when possible.

> doesn't send font information to a printer. Frankly, this is an ugly hack
> in the first place.  Why do you want to perpetuate it?
Believe me, I did not come up with it. Bill G. did that.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to create a WSCST object that sends the font
> so that the font can be selected using the regular FONT keyword in DDS?
I will look at this. I need to make the font permanent /resident so that it
can be used by the next job.

>    QIBM_QSH_CMD_OUTPUT=FILE=qsys.lib/qusrsys.lib/qsysprt.file

Actually, this works fine,
QIBM_QSH_CMD_OUTPUT(FILE=qsys.lib/qusrsys.lib/myfile.file/myfile.mbr)
and will solve many qshell wants, but not my particular font problem, I can
do this with FTP or a few other ways.

> What you MIGHT be able to do is use the "cat -c" utility that I displayed
> above to a PF, and then use CPYF to go from the PF to the PRTF.  Do *NOT*
> however, use *PRINT on the CPYF.  Instead, do something like:
>
>    CRTPF MYLIB/MYPF RCDLEN(132)
>    QSH CMD('cat -c selectfont.bin >
/qsys.lib/mylib.lib/mypf.file/mypf.mbr')
>    OVRPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) DEVTYPE(*USERASCII) CTLCHAR(*NONE)
>    CPYF FROMFILE(MYPF) TOFILE(QSYSPRT) FROMRCD(1)
>    DLTOVR QSYSPRT

OVRPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) DEVTYPE(*USERASCII) CTLCHAR(*NONE)
Above is the statement I had -forgotten-
That is very close, going to try it now...(could have had the program done
by now, eh)