trevor perry wrote:
haha! As usual, I need to explain more.. I am not 100% sure on CGI and how
it is invoked. I think I have an idea, but am looking here for help.

A client of mine does not want the HTTP server on the iSeries to be exposed
to the web. So, by closing it down, the outside world cannot invoke the RPG
CGI programs. Since an IIS server is available, we can expose that to the
web, and then the iSeries is protected.

Now, the trick is, how do we get the RPG CGI programs invoked from the
iSeries. I think it will require some translation tool that will read the
request, re-direct it to the iSeries HTTP server, and then receive and
re-direct the response.

Another idea is to use a translation page to direct call the iSeries RPG
program..

I am looking for alternatives. Thanks for all the questions so far...

The CGI programs on the AS/400 are tightlyu integrated with the HTTP server. Programs written in RPG or COBOL read and write to stdin and stdout and I don't see how you can port them to a Windows platform without doing a total rewrite in windows that would simply fetch the data from the AS/400 using ODBC. In other words, the business logic contained in the CGI programs would be lost. We've been doing webserving from our AS/400 for almost eight years now and have not had any security issues. It may pay to invest in a firewall and a close look at the security settigns on your AS/400 before moving the CGI applications.

One other thought: if you want to keep the existing CGI programs, buy a small AS/400 server and transfer the CGI apps to it. Create DDM files on the internet server and the programs will compile to them just as if they were on the original box.

Hope this helps.