My experiences using EMC's Symettrix 5500 have been terrible. We just replaced the entire system, and now use internal DASD. We also purchased a second system and use MIMIX to replicate all of the data to an actual system that can take over in the event of a failure or maintenance.

I would question why you would want to SRDF the data for remote mirroring. Performance will probably be lousy, and if you lose the iSeries, all the data in the world is useless. In addition, purchasing a second system and HA software would probably be less expensive then the EMC Solution. And with HA you get added benefits, such as backups from the mirror system, allowing non-stop processing on the primary system. Software and OS upgrades can be done with minimal downtime by switching systems.

One last thought on external DASD. IBM's Shark line is comparable to EMC (IMHO), yet IBM does not recommend it's use on the iSeries, EXCEPT in a few special cases. But EMC always recommends it. They have even pushed us to purchase a used system to create a migration tower, so we could use their equipment on some 820 systems. This solution would have even further degraded the performance of the system, over using a natively attached DASD solution. They didn't care, as long as they got the sale. They didn't, and the systems have been running for almost three years, with over 2 Terabytes of DASD, we have not lost a bit yet. Did lose drives, but parity protection handled it quite well.

Tsopelas Anastasios wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any real world experience about the migration of the internal
storage of an iSeries to a Symmetrix DMX2000 external storage subsystem? We plan to use SRDF for remote mirroring and this requires the migration of
the load source into the DMX.
If you can share any experience or thoughts it will be of a great value for
us.
Thanks, Tassos.

Disclaimer
This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy it, re-transmit it, use it or disclose its contents, but should return it to the sender immediately and delete the copy from your system. EFG Eurobank Ergasias S.A. is not responsible for, nor endorses, any opinion, recommendation, conclusion, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information contained in this communication.
EFG Eurobank Ergasias S.A. cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.