On 4 May 2004 at 16:01, Adam Lang wrote:

> Say your network is your local city.  Windows is the crack head prostitute
> running around open to disease and helping to spread them.  Sure you don't
> get infected if you don't use with her, but you still have to waste money
> paying for her welfare.

The real problem is, that there is no really working cure. We have about 90%
PC's
as a standard install - same hardware, software installed from a general pool of
packages, automatic virus scanner updates und patch installation.

The other 10% can't be updated due to different reasons, some even don't run a
virus scanner as it interferes with the special software running. And
unfortunately,
these machines are quite important to our business.
So we are now working on a internal firewall to gather these machines in a
special partial LAN.

It's at least good to know that one's not alone with this problem. Some bigger
german
companies already had to admit problems with Sasser, too.

On the other hand, one can protect a windows PC quite good. My XP machine at
home has
no firewall, no virus scanner and only Service Pack 1 installed. But since I've
switched off all
windows services with network connections, neither Blaster nor Sasser had a
chance.

Regards,

Oliver