From: <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 2:39 PM
Subject: RE: Novell pop ups delay end job request

| Can you run your own prior to the Mapics job kicking in?
For example if
| the Mapics backup starts at 23:00, at 22:30, use your own
routine to blast
| locks.  Not 100% effective, but it will get those people
out who haven't

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
| cc
|
| Subject
| RE: Novell pop ups delay end job request
|

| I really cannot change anything - it's part of MAPICS
code.  Our AS/400
| backups start with MAPICS backup.  MAPICS is submits end
jobs for all
| inquiry jobs that have a lock on a file called SYSCTL.
Usually this is
| about 20 different users and all the jobs end within a few
minutes, there
| are no locks on SYSCTL,  and MAPICS knows it can backup
all MAPICS files.
| If
| it cannot get a lock within 1.5 hours, it aborts the
backup.  The problem
| is
| that the end request that MAPICS submits sometimes seems
not to work and I
| think it is due to Novell pop ups.

perhaps you need
| to end the job still, but then check to see if there is
still a lock on
| the file.  I wonder if the job ends enough to release the
lock?

| Rob Berendt
| --
| Group Dekko Services, LLC
| Dept 01.073
| PO Box 2000
| Dock 108
| 6928N 400E
| Kendallville, IN 46755
| http://www.dekko.com
|

| "Burns, Bryan" <burnsbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
| 03/29/2004 11:23 AM
| Please respond to
| Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

| MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
| cc
|
| Subject
| Novell pop ups delay end job request
|

| Around 11 pm last night Novell sent a pop up message to a
PC workstation
| warn the user that the server connection was going to be
terminated.  No
| user was around to answer the message.   The PC was also
running a MAPICS
| session at that time using Client Access.
|
| At midnight a controlled end job request (CPC1126) was
issued for the
| MAPICS
| job running on the PC but the job did not end, apparently
due to the pop
| up
| message.  Because the job did not end, we did not obtain
an AS/400 backup
| last night.
|
| I went to the PC this morning and as soon as I cleared the
Novell popups,
| the AS/400 job started ending (CPC1235),  followed 30
seconds later by the
| job actually ending (CPF1164). There was also a popup that
said Client 32:
| Could not auto-connect to server HPFS_1 because logins
have been disabled.

| The AS/400 spent all night trying to end this session but
would not end it
| until I cleared the pop ups.
|
| The network guys are skeptical that a Novell pop up can
prevent the AS/400
| from ending a job but are willing to work with me on this.
This is not
| the
| first time this has happened.  Has anyone encountered this
before? We run
| Novell over both IP and IPX.
|
| Bryan Burns
| System Operator
| Echo, Inc.

| Before posting, please take a moment to review the
archives