I am researching methods for a customer to automatically retrieve date from
excel spreadsheets (XLS) into my iSeries database. I will have 200+ XLS all
formatted the same but uniquely named that come in on a monthly basis. I can
easily get the XLS over to my IFS and now I want to read specific cells of each
XLS to update my database file. I will not be updating the spreadsheets, just
reading from them.

The POI and HSSF method shown below looks like the way to go if I can implement
it in a reasonable amount of time. Donât ask "reasonable?" My customer and I
will work that out.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0402bhogal/index.html

<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0402bhogal/index.html>

Does anyone have any detailed information on using Apacheâs POI on the
iSeries, the set up they had go through, the problems they have encountered,
etc.? Are there any other ways that people are doing this on a regular basis?
Iâm working on a V5R2 box. Any help is appreciated.

David Smith

iSeries Consultant

dsmith@xxxxxxxxxx

<mailto:h@xxxxxxxxxx>