We bought two 3580-H23s for each of systems, a our 730-2067 (4-way) & a
830-2400 (2-way) last summer.  Ultrium2, 200GB native, etc. as everyone
else has said.  I bench-tested the backup speed on both systems and got
70GB/hour on the 730 and 203GB/hour on the 830.  The machines are
comparable in CPW (2000 & 1850 respective) but the PCI-type bus made a
world of difference.

The saves were performed on non-dedicated but fairly idle systems, so
the numbers could fluctuate a little.  The save was of our JDE data
libraries and not the entire system.  Throughput is somewhat less when
saving the entire system, but it's still way faster than the drives they
replaced.  Also, we are currently getting the entire system save on a
single tape with room to spare.

H23s are all that can be attached to an SPD box like our 730.  The
reason we went with H23s vs. L23s on the 830 was that the LVD tape
controller required V5R2 and we just weren't ready to make that jump yet
as we had app issues holding us back.

A quick question for other LTO2 users:  How much data have you gotten on
the tapes before it asks for volume 2 of a save?  IOW are you getting
the normal advertised 2-1 compression or something different?  On our
old BCC AIT drives we would always get about 3.8-1 overall and I'm
wondering if I can expect the same from the LTO2s (760ish GB/tape
compressed).
This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment
to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by
software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be
confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.