We use the LinkSys VPN router. It has settings to enable IPSEC passthrough and PPTP passthrough. So do you think that I can set the multihop external address to that of the router and this should work? The setting is for going through another system or LPAR - that sounds like an iSeries that is live on the Internet. It talks about using a box of some kind on which you've set up a connection to IBM.

Would I use the public address of the LinkSys, or the internal one?

Hoping for some fun.

Vern

At 09:45 AM 3/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Sort of a horrible requirement not to have it behind a firewall.

Technically not a requirement.

_IF_ you have a firewall/NAT device that is capable of "L2TP Multihop"
it's possible to setup the VPN connection from within the internal
network. Technically there is one connection from your iSeries to your
firewall and another from the firewall (which has a public IP) to IBM.
Of course, almost no one has one of these firewalls. <G>

IIRC from beta days, this has to do with IBM's decision to use IPSEC and
L2TP and not PPTP as the VPN protocol. Since the IP address of the
sender (your iSeries) in embedded in the output packet and the entire
packet is encrypted there is no way to "fix" the IP address w/o
corrupting the outbound packet. Personally I find PPTP "secure enough"
at 128-bit encryption to transfer PTFs and phone-home so I think it was
a silly decision on Rochester's part. However, I'm not sure they have a
choice. It wouldn't surprise me to know that IBM network security won't
allow any VPN connection other than IPSEC/L2TP.

-Walden

------------ Walden H Leverich III President & CEO Tech Software (516) 627-3800 x11 (208) 692-3308 eFax WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.TechSoftInc.com

Sort of a horrible requirement not to have it behind a firewall.