midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. Zebra printers using IP network connection - how to perform
>      page (Stone, Joel)
>
>We have several Zebra brand bar code label printers, model Z-140.  They are
>parallel printers with a Zebra network converter "dongle" to an IP network.
>
>When a user wants to restart a 1000 label report at page 990, they have to
>print the entire report a second time.
>
>The only method we have found around this is to use SPLTOOL to split the
>file into multiple spool files, or rebuild the spool file by re-running the
>application (with the reduced amount of data).
>
>I can understand that the AS/400 didn't properly support IP printers 15
>years ago, but it must be able to support them (including restarts) in
>2004!!!  Especially since IBM dropped twinax controllers from their product
>lineup years ago.
[snip]
>If the answer is that this cannot be done, then how can IBM expect companies
>to stick with the AS/400?  As old twinax printers are replaced by standard
>IP printers, users will experience the loss of printer control.  Isn't this
>unacceptable?

I don't have much IP/network printer experience outside of iSeries and
generally Windows, so I don't have much to base comparisons on. Specifying
SAVE(*YES) works fine for me for restarts because I don't generate 1000-page
reports. Creating printer device descriptions is also fine by me, but I'm
comfortable with device descriptions. I'm also comfortable with setting
appropriate destination options on a remote outq.

But what about other platforms? Is page-range on restarts to an IP/network
printer a common option? I know I have trouble figuring a way to do it in
Windows. To me, it seems OS/400 provides about as many ways as anyone would
ever need.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta