From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Stone, Joel
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 2:05 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Zebra printers using IP network connection - how to perform
page

We have several Zebra brand bar code label printers, model Z-140.  They are
parallel printers with a Zebra network converter "dongle" to an IP network.

When a user wants to restart a 1000 label report at page 990, they have to
print the entire report a second time.

The only method we have found around this is to use SPLTOOL to split the
file into multiple spool files, or rebuild the spool file by re-running the
application (with the reduced amount of data).

I can understand that the AS/400 didn't properly support IP printers 15
years ago, but it must be able to support them (including restarts) in
2004!!!  Especially since IBM dropped twinax controllers from their product
lineup years ago.

Here is the output writer description:

    Writer      Type  Device      Queue       Library     Status  Form Type
    GSCZ1       RMT               GSCZ1       QGPL37       STR    *ALL

How can I configure these printers to have restart capabilities?

If the answer is that this cannot be done, then how can IBM expect companies
to stick with the AS/400?  As old twinax printers are replaced by standard
IP printers, users will experience the loss of printer control.  Isn't this
unacceptable?

Is the only solution to buy overpriced non-standard IPDS printers??

Thanks!