With due regards to Booth and Steve.
I will tell you what I did.
1. There was no logical file built over this physical file.
2. The problem is that from 1994 to 1998 , people have been using only DDS
source to create physical files on test machine and moved the compiled PF
into production. The same was true for programs. But source code for the
programs were left in the test machine while DDS code for maps,
reports,physical files were deleted.
3. Those people have now left our company ( we have an attrition rate of 20
%).
4. In 1998, new set of people came who were trained on DBMS and hence for
new programs,we all switched to DB2 on AS400 working with SQLs as a hot
knife cutting across butter. We also brought changes in our practice to
keep source in production machines for every map/report/program etc and
compiled the objects in production itself.
5. But working with old maps, reports, files keeps bugging us as we do not
have much expertise with DDS . Reports and Maps we manage with STRSDA and
STRRLU but there is no STRPFU. :).

6. There was a unique set of keys on the file with  a set of 4 columns.I
could use DSPPFD to see the key names. We now wanted to have unique on  a
set of 5 keys.
7. I renamed the old file and kept in the system.
8. I created a DB2 SQL table by same name and columns. But the program wont
run with return code 39 .( the open stat. was unsuccessful because  a
conflict was detected between a  fixed file attributes and the attributes
specified for that file in the program ). I think I could have run my
program if I had compiled the program source once.
9. Then I went to infocenter and read material and tried to create a DDS
file for making PF.
10. I compiled the PF file, inserted records in it from old file using SQL.
i then compiled the program which accessed that file and yes, it now works
fine.

Moral of the story : Even if IBM says they will give thrust only to
DB2,Websphere and Java, there are still people like us who have to maintain
old codes and need to keep learning the old things as well.

Regards
Santosh.
e- mail at :  santoshp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FPC-IS, ITS, Tata Steel.
Jamshedpur, India.
Tel : 21-47095 (O) .

********************************DISCLAIMER***********************************
  Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential and
proprietary to Tata Steel Ltd. and is intended for use only by the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient , you are notified that
any dissemination or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you
are requested to delete this e-mail immediately and notify the originator.
Tata Steel does not enter into any binding agreement with any party by
e-mail. Any views expressed by an individual do not necessarily reflect the
view of Tata Steel. Tata Steel is not responsible for the consequences of
any actions taken on the basis of information provided. While this e-mail
has been checked for all known viruses the addressee should also scan for
viruses. To know more about Tata Steel please visit www.tatasteel.com