Every other flavor of DB2 has this capability - someone had to have thought it mattered. Blocking output is certainly one benefit.

The multiple row capability has been available with embedded SQL, using a host variable array (MODS in RPG, e.g) for some time, with some special syntax - I don't think it is unique to iSeries. So the functionality has been in the engine all along, I think, just not surfaced into user syntax.

Why ask why?

;-)